The Coal House
The idea came to be in 1932 when
O.W. Evans, Fuels Department Manager for the Norfolk & Western Railroad yard in Williamson wanted to create something that celebrated "Coal Country".
After hiring H.T. Hicks, an architect from Welch, WV, the Coal House was completed in 1933, constructed of 65 Tons of locally mined bituminous coal.
Since then, it has been the home to the Tug Valley Chamber of Commerce and Williamson's most popular tourist destination.
As of February 1 2020, The Coal House has hosted visitors from 31 Countries and 49 out of the 50 States in the USA.
To learn more about the Coal House,
Visit the Tug Valley Chamber of Commerce site here: